Saturday 02/22/2020, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
View Louis's profile
and full STITCHES West class list
Designing Your Own Hat with Louis Boria
In this class Louis shares his process for designing your own hat using simple templates. Each area of the hat presents design considerations.
- The best cast-on for hats (Long tail vs. German Twist).
- Hat fit (fitted vs. slouchy) and how many stitches to cast on.
- Benefits of knitting with elastic thread.
- Striped brims; 1x1 vs. 2x2 ribbing.
- Brim length.
Body of the hat:
- Deciding on the construction.
- Selecting stitches; how to determine what stitches work well together.
- The importance of pairing stitches based on stitch sequence.
- Adding simple cables.
- How to translate stitch instruction from knitting flat to knitting in the round.
- Determining body length.
Working the crown and finishes:
- Using simple math to determine your decreases for the crown.
- Explaining why we knit a row in between our decrease rows.
- Weaving in ends.
- Combining different fibers and different weights to create those special hats.
- What to do when your brim becomes over-stretched.
- Adding pom-poms, tassels, patches.